One fairly active area of research on microtiming has been focused on the phenomenon of the jazz “swing”. Here is a small collection of articles on this topic. What are the main research questions tackled by these studies? What are some of the common findings? Are there conflicting experimental results? What might explain these differences?
Write a response to one or more of these prompts in reply to this post by Thursday, October 2, 9:00 AM.
– Collier & Collier (2002), “A study of timing in two Louis Armstrong solos”
– Friberg & Sundstrom (2002), “Swing ratios and ensemble timing in jazz performance: Evidence for a common rhythmic pattern”
– Benadon (2006), “Slicing the beat: Jazz eighth-notes as expressive microrhythm”
– Honing & de Haas (2008), “Swing once more: Relating timing and tempo in expert jazz drumming”
– Butterfield (2011), “Why do jazz musicians swing their eighth notes”