Link to article: http://mtosmt.org/issues/mto.13.19.1/mto.13.19.1.hesselink.php
This article brings together several topics and issues we have discussed this term, including issues of beat perception, metric dissonance, and the influence of individual preferences and experience. Read the article, keeping the following questions in mind:
- What is the author’s “research question” and how is it situated in the context of rhythm research?
- How is “ambiguity” defined and how does the author’s definition compare to London’s?
- How does the author approach his research question methodologically?
- What are the main findings?
- How might this question be further explored experimentally?
In preparation for class discussion on Tuesday, April 23, post a short (1-2 paragraphs) response by Monday, April 22, 11:59PM. The goal of this post is not to answer the guiding questions, but to share your initial reaction to the contents of this article, including questions it raises about music perception, empirical methods, and any other issue relevant to our exploration of rhythm cognition. (Late posts will be downgraded; responses posted after 2:30PM on Tuesday, April 23 will not be credited.)