Possible Group Research Questions

1) Because of the entanglement of music and emotions, some research has suggested that background music can enhance memory.  What effect does this music’s “groove” have on the listener’s ability to retain information in working and/or long-term memory?

2) What effect does the “grooviness” of a song have on its “earworm” quality?

3 thoughts on “Possible Group Research Questions

1. Regarding no. 1:

– Would you be comparing music with different emotional content? Who would be determining the emotion that characterizes each song?

Regarding no. 2:

– How would grooviness and earworm quality be defined/determined?

• Regarding Question 1:
      My thought was to use the “grooviness rating” data collected in Janata et al. (2012) to compare the effect of music rated as having a high groove with that of music rated as having a low groove, but you’re right in that the emotional content of the music is a compounding factor in this design. “Space Oddity” and “Yeah!” certainly do not elicit similar affects for me (nor, I would assume, most people).

This reminds me of a follow-up study that I proposed in class and subsequently forgot, however. How does the tempo of a song affect its groove? We would need to identify or compose a song that listeners wouldn’t be able to identify so that we could alter its temo unhindered, but it seems to me that answering this question could simplify greatly my proposed design in Question 1.

• I had a group of students play around last year with changing tempo of pieces to see the effect on the perceived emotion. It was an interesting question, and there is software that allows you to do that type of transformation without affecting pitch content now.